Teens' Beginner Car

Back in 1979 we were just short of one year for the legitimate age to hold a driver license, yet most of my classmate had already mastered speed driving habit. We were allowed to drive under then the lenient traffic regulation provided that someone who has a driving license accompanied us. I got deliriously envy to some of my classmates who were driving without anybody older with license for their daily drive.

Once or twice they got caught by traffic cop and the car was delivered back within hours, since the cop who impounded it was much lower rank than my mate’s parents. Most of their dads were beyond Mayor in Police force rank. What a convenience, but it was way back then! Time when the boys were truly fascinated by car driving at early ages, in fact some of my mate could get legitimate license by declaring a year older age. But once they reached the true legitimate age of driving, they immediately made the age correction. Back then we would do anything to get behind the wheel and drive away!

This was the same year I was shoehorning my driving skill in a 1978 Holden Belmont estate. It was a relatively huge car in comparison to the narrow street of Jakarta and first taste of driving a three speed column stalk shifter. Belmont was the station wagon basic model of the then popular second generation of HQ Holden Kingswood produced from 1974 to 1984; the generation of which under General Motor’s direction to resemble Cadillac’s smooth ride yet with under-steering characteristic. Our Holden Belmont was equipped with the legendary 6 cylinders H202 2.8 L engine, a very smooth engine with lots of toque at low rpms. All Holden Kingswood and their derivatives including Premier and Statesman were only produced in right hand drive format.

The Belmont served me well for much of school commuting as well as going to my English courses, but it was in my matEuropean Ride Peugeot 403e’s Peugeot 403 that we spent much of time mocking around. On occasion he also brought me on his 1966 Toyota FJ only when his dad was not using it, it went straight to 90 kmh on its mere first gear. But it was my first taste of European ride that his Peugeot 403 brought about to my attention a truly exemplary ride quality.

No comments:

Beauchamp  G Wagen  Classic 1997 Accord  Beginner Rally Car Mercedes Benz Conversion Toy

Leisure Drive! : The Motor Magazine